Direct-to-Consumer Genetic Testing Market – Global Industry Analysis, Size, Share, Growth, Trends, and Forecast 2017 – 2025
- Report Number: 180910963
Direct-to-consumer (DTC) genetic testing refers to genetic tests or services that are directly advertised to consumers and purchased through consumer’ requests. The results of these tests are directly provided to consumers/customers without any participation of the consumers’ health care providers. This type of genetic test is directly marketed to customers/consumers by using print advertisements, television, or the Internet. Many medical device companies are marketing this DTC testing to the public at a realistic price point without consulting with doctors or other medical professionals. Consumers can order genetic testing kits from home by using a website and receive volumes of information relating to their individual genetic profile without visiting a doctor.
The DTC genetic testing market contains two business models: one-to-one and one-to-many. In the one-to-one model, the results are discussed directly by the companies with the consumer or with the physician. In the one-to-many model, DTC companies will only conduct a genetic test once they receive consent from the consumer and the data is owned by the companies. The companies operating in this market obtain profit from the sales of DTC genetic testing kits to consumers and physicians and the sales of genetic data to pharmaceutical companies. This paradigm shift in business models is identified as one of the key trends behind the growth of the DTC genetic testing market.
The global DTC genetic testing market is expected to grow substantially due to high aging population coupled with growing prevalence of chronic disorders such as type 2 diabetes, cardiovascular diseases (CVDs), diabetic retinopathy, and other chronic diseases. In addition, growing customer awareness about direct-to-consumer genetic testing, along with increasing prevalence of major chronic diseases has resulted in rise in healthcare expenditure and the demand of DTC genetic testing is increase for early diagnosis various diseases are fuel the growth of the direct- to- consumer genetic testing market. However, DTC genetic testing raises a number of issues, including scientific, technical, and clinical issues, along with First Amendment issues of honesty, fidelity to facts, and truth-in-advertising, are limiting the growth of the global market.
The global DTC genetic testing market is segmented based on service, distribution channel, and region. In terms of service, the market is further segmented into diagnostic screening, prenatal, newborn screening, pre-implantation diagnosis, and relationship testing. The diagnostic screening segment dominates the global DTC genetic testing market as it helps in identifying the gene responsible for chronic diseases such as cancer. This includes carrier screening and hereditary testing that are usually conducted for DTC genetic testing. In terms of distribution channel, the market is classified into direct sales, retail sales, and laboratory sales. The direct sales segment generates high revenue due to pricing strategies.
Geographically, the DTC genetic testing market is distributed over North America, Europe, Latin America, Asia Pacific, and Middle East & Africa. Each geography market is sub-divided into specific countries such as the U.S., Canada, the U.K., Germany, Brazil, China, India, and GCC countries. North America dominated global DTC genetic testing market because of importance of early diagnosis of for better treatment outcomes, and high level of consumer literacy about diseases. Asia Pacific is projected to be the most attractive market during the forecast period due to rising health care awareness and growing disposable income.
Key players operating in this market are 23andMe, Inc., Laboratory Corporation of America, Myriad Genetics, Inc., Quest Diagnostics, Counsyl, Inc., Gene by Gene, and Positive Bioscience Ltd. In order to gain competitive advantage in the market, these market players are actively involved in various growth strategies such as collaborations, partnerships, agreements, and new product launches.
The report offers a comprehensive evaluation of the market. It does so via in-depth qualitative insights, historical data, and verifiable projections about market size. The projections featured in the report have been derived using proven research methodologies and assumptions. By doing so, the research report serves as a repository of analysis and information for every facet of the market, including but not limited to: Regional markets, technology, types, and applications.
The study is a source of reliable data on:
- Market segments and sub-segments
- Market trends and dynamics
- Supply and demand
- Market size
- Current trends/opportunities/challenges
- Competitive landscape
- Technological breakthroughs
- Value chain and stakeholder analysis
The regional analysis covers:
- North America (U.S. and Canada)
- Latin America (Mexico, Brazil, Peru, Chile, and others)
- Western Europe (Germany, U.K., France, Spain, Italy, Nordic countries, Belgium, Netherlands, and Luxembourg)
- Eastern Europe (Poland and Russia)
- Asia Pacific (China, India, Japan, ASEAN, Australia, and New Zealand)
- Middle East and Africa (GCC, Southern Africa, and North Africa)
The report has been compiled through extensive primary research (through interviews, surveys, and observations of seasoned analysts) and secondary research (which entails reputable paid sources, trade journals, and industry body databases). The report also features a complete qualitative and quantitative assessment by analyzing data gathered from industry analysts and market participants across key points in the industry’s value chain.
A separate analysis of prevailing trends in the parent market, macro- and micro-economic indicators, and regulations and mandates is included under the purview of the study. By doing so, the report projects the attractiveness of each major segment over the forecast period.
Highlights of the report:
- A complete backdrop analysis, which includes an assessment of the parent market
- Important changes in market dynamics
- Market segmentation up to the second or third level
- Historical, current, and projected size of the market from the standpoint of both value and volume
- Reporting and evaluation of recent industry developments
- Market shares and strategies of key players
- Emerging niche segments and regional markets
- An objective assessment of the trajectory of the market
- Recommendations to companies for strengthening their foothold in the market
With collective industry experience of about 200 years of its analysts and experts, Future Industry Insight (FII) encompasses most infallible research methodology for its market intelligence and industry analysis. We do not only engrave the deepest levels of markets but also sneak through its slimmest details for the purpose of our market estimates and forecasts. Our approach helps in building greater market consensus view for size, shape and industry trends within each industry segment. We carefully factor in industry trends and real developments for identifying key growth factors and future course of the market. Our research proceeds are the resultant of high quality data, expert views and analysis and high value independent opinions. Our research process is designed to deliver balanced view of the global markets and allow stakeholders to make informed decisions.
We offer our clients exhaustive research and analysis based on wide variety of factual inputs, which largely include interviews with industry participants, reliable statistics and regional intelligence. Our in-house industry experts play instrumental role in designing analytic tools and models, tailored to the requirements of particular industry segment. These analytical tools and models sanitize the data & statistics and enhance the accuracy of our recommendations and advice. With FII’s calibrated research process and 360` degree data-evaluation methodology, our clients are assured of receiving:
- Consistent, valuable, robust and actionable data & analysis that can easily be referenced for strategic business planning
- Technologically sophisticated and reliable insights through well audited and veracious research methodology
- Sovereign research proceeds that present a tangible depiction of marketplace
With a strong methodology we are, therefore, confident that our research and analysis are most reliable and guarantees sound business planning.
We refer a broad array of industry sources for our secondary, which typically include; however, not limited to: Company SEC filings, annual reports, company websites, broker & financial reports and investor presentations for competitive scenario and shape of the industry
- Patent and regulatory databases for understanding of technical & legal developments
- Scientific and technical writings for product information and related preemptions
- Regional government and statistical databases for macro analysis
- Authentic new articles, web-casts and other related releases for market evaluation
- Internal and external proprietary databases, key market indicators and relevant press releases for market estimates and forecast
Our primary research efforts include reaching out participants through mail, tele-conversations, referrals, professional networks and face-to-face interactions. We are also in professional corporate relations with various companies that allow us greater flexibility for reaching out industry participants and commentators for interviews and discussions, fulfilling following functions:
- Validates and improves the data quality and strengthens research proceeds
- Further develops analyst team’s market understanding and expertise
- Supplies authentic information about market size, share, growth and forecasts
Our primary research interview and discussion panels are typically composed of most experienced industry members. These participants include; however, not limited to:
- Chief executives and VPs of leading corporations specific to industry
- Product and sales managers or country heads; channel partners and top level distributors; banking, investments and valuation experts Key opinion leaders (KOLs)
Analyst tools and models
Future Industry Insight (FII) has developed set of analyst tools and data models to supplement and expedite the analysis process. Corresponding to markets, where there is significant lack of information and estimates, FII’s team of experts and analyst develop specific analyst tools and industry models to translate qualitative and quantitative industry indicators into exact industry estimates. These models also allow analysts to examine the prospects and opportunities prevailing in the market to accurately forecast the course of the market.